We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. Continue using our site if you are ok with this. Accept and Close »

, Menu
Call Us Now
0330 094 8387

Request a Callback

Please enter your details below and we'll get back to you at your preferred time

Brexit: The Latest Travel Advice

Brexit: The Latest Travel Advice

Barrhead Travel work closely with ABTA and government agencies to help ensure we provide you, our customers, with the most up-to-date travel information. The below advice is referenced from ABTA’s Brexit information. More details can be found .

Many people are booking their travel plans for 2020 and beyond and have questions about what might happen after the 31st January 2020 when the UK leaves the European Union (EU). The latest advice indicates that the UK is on track to enter a transition period on 31st January which will be valid until 30th December.

Travelling after 31st January
If Parliament ratifies the Withdrawal Agreement before 31 January 2020, which it is on track to do, the UK will enter a transition period, meaning everything will remain the same and you can continue to travel as you do now until at least the end of December 2020.

Will flights still operate?
BET305手机版Yes. If a deal is agreed then the UK will be in a transition period, meaning everything will stay the same until the end of December 2020 and flights will continue as normal.

Will ferries and cruise ships still sail?
Ferry services and cruises will still sail as in any case the majority of the rules under which they operate are not based on EU rules, but are international.

Will my coach journey still operate?
BET305手机版Coaches will still be able to travel to and from the EU, and around EU countries as usual.

Will trains from the UK to the EU still operate?
Trains from the UK to the EU will continue to operate as usual.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?
No. UK travellers won’t need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit.

Should I take out travel insurance to cover Brexit?
The best way to protect your holiday is to book through a reputable travel agent, such as Barrhead Travel, who can offer financial protection on every holiday you purchase. That means, if something goes wrong, you will be offered an alternative or refund if it cannot be delivered.

it is important that whenever and wherever you travel that you have adequate travel insurance which covers your specific needs, including any known medical conditions or activities you plan to do.

Valid passports can still be used. You do not need to have six months left on your passport to travel to the EU, however at Barrhead Travel, we always recommend that you have at least six months on your passport, no matter where you travel to. Your passport does however need to be valid for the whole of your trip.

European Health Insurance Card and travel insurance
BET305手机版The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the event of a Brexit deal, UK registered EHICs will still be valid throughout 2020.

BET305手机版we strongly advise that holidaymakers and business travellers make sure they have appropriate travel insurance, whether they have an ehic card or not, as there are limitations to ehic.

when travelling in the eu and beyond, it is important you take out travel insurance and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions. if you have an annual policy, make sure you check the terms and conditions and contact your insurance provider if you’re not sure.

Barrhead Travel offer Travel Insurance when you book your holiday – you can find out more 

Driving licences
BET305手机版As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU. This will not change following 31 January 2020. An International Driving Permit will not be required, and you do not need a GB sticker or a Green Card for car insurance.

Taking pets abroad
There will be no change in relation to taking pets abroad after 31 January 2020.

Data roaming
Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK and this will continue after 31 January 2020.